Get Past The Black Knight
If you think your audience is your market segment, your customers, your potential customers, and those who may be persuaded to be your customers then you're wrong.
When it comes to media engagement and press relations your audience is a journalist.
Forget about getting your PR to your target, it won't happen unless you can get past the journalist. Journalists are the gate keepers; they stand on the bridge, sword in hand, saying "None shall pass." You can fight with them if you want, but you'll never win, they'll just keep standing there.
So what do you do?
1) Think Like A Journalist - What is their audience and what is the best way to engage with them?
2) Play The Long Game - Offer content that can move a recurring the story on, add to the debate, or give a starting point to a new strand of content.
3) Be Realistic - If it's just a commercial 'puff' expect to be knocked back or asked to pay for coverage.
4) Use Their Voice - Approach your media outlet with something that sounds like them. You wouldn't send a 'Sun' style pitch to the 'Independent' News room (and vice versa); even if they can see the story they'll be nervous about using something that won't sit well with their audience.
5) Be A Consumer - Journalists love to be read, watched, and listened to. Make a point of consuming the media you want to target so you can link it in to what that journalist may have already published.
Now you can get past the Black Knight, or at least give him a scratch...